Monday, October 17, 2005

So Toll!

I’ve said that word so many times in the last few days, second only to was? (what?).
So far my visit has been great! I wasn’t very tired when I got off the plane and Urs (exchange student to my town 2001-2002) picked me up at the airport. It was nice to meet someone right away that I knew. Actually I should say about half of Urs picked me up. He has lost a lot of weight and looks really great. We went back to his house and after saying hi to his brother and father, went to go meet his friend Anna... and guess how we got there? via scooter! It was awesome! She is really nice, I just hope she didn’t think that I didn’t like her. I didn’t say very much to her but they were speaking in German and I didn’t understand very much. I did speak to her in German though, when I did speak. Yesterday Urs and I went to Landau and got the key to my room. My room is soooo nice! I have a roommate of sorts. We have separate rooms but we share a little common area with a tiny kitchen (with a very tiny fridge) and a bathroom. We also have a balcony! Kaija lives just around the corner, which is very convenient. Kathy lives downtown in the ESG but that’s not too far away, only about 15 minutes or so by foot. After getting my key, Urs and I walked to the library through the little woods by the wohnheim. We met Kaija and Kathy and ended up going downtown for a wine festival that just started in Landau. The town is so cute! All the shops open their doors and put things out in the street to entice shoppers. We walked around for a while and then sat down and ate some onion, quiche-like stuff. It was really good and it was sold everywhere. I bought a little package of apricots and dried apples that I thought was 2,50 Euro but when I went to pay for it I found out it was 5,90 Euro. Grr, oh well, I guess that’s not the most expensive mistake I could have made. Oh yes, I did make it to an ATM and managed to withdraw money without the machine eating my card (I was rather afraid of that happening). After that we went back to Kaija’s room and played cards. I think Urs and Kathy will get along pretty well but I don’t know about Kaija and Urs. Let’s just say they didn’t exactly hit it off from the start. Oh well, they don’t have to meet each other very often.

Today Urs and I went shopping for food. I had to talk to all the people at the market and ask for what we needed. I was pretty nervous about that but Urs came with and helped me when I didn’t understand. It was good practice for when I’ll have to do that on my own.

I also got a German card for my cell phone. I’ll try to put the number up soon on my facebook and send it in an e-mail so anyone who would like to can call me :-) Tonight Anna is coming over and tomorrow I think we will go to Kaiserslautern. Maybe I can go back to the library in Landau soon to use the internet. I can read my e-mail at Urs’ house but I shouldn’t spend too much time online because they have dial up and so no one can call.

1 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

living in an apartment with a room mate and fending for yourself is a real world experience! i just hit that here, and it's going pretty well!

i remember the high prices of stuff when i was in italy in the summer. eveyrthing was twice or more than the US..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home