Sunday, March 05, 2006

Vacationing with my Mom

My parents just came to Germany to visit me last Saturday :-) My dad stayed for a week and we toured around Landau. We also stopped by Ludwigshafen, Manheim, Mainz, and Worms. Gerald and Felix, former exchanges students who stayed with my family, also came to visit but only stayed until Tuesday. On Wednesday my mom and dad and I drove to Schweinfurt where we visited my dad's cousin. My mom and I stayed until Friday morning and then we took two trains to a bus to a plane to another bus, and wound up in Krakow. My dad flew back home on Saturday so he could readjust to the time zone in order to be ready for work on Monday (tomorrow).

My mom and I were lucky to make it to Krakow. For one, we didn't realize how far away the Frankfurt Hahn Airport was from Schweinfurt. We looked it up Thursday night, and realized we would have to take a train because it was much too far away for my dad to simply drop us off with our rental car. We just made it to the train station in time on Friday morning to buy our tickets. Then, while taking the bus to the airport, it started to snow... a lot! We were afraid our flight would be canceled but luckily it was just delayed about a half hour. Our bus waited for us in the airport in Poland and we made it to Krakow safely.

My mom and I have been visiting with Joanna (an exchange student from Poland who I met this last semester in Germany) and we have been staying with her grandmother who does not speak any English. It's been great though, and Joanna's grandmother has been very friendly. We've been able to communicate through hand gestures and about ten German words (her Grandmother knows a very little bit German). Joanna has been showing us all over Krakow and tomorrow my mom and I will venture out into the city alone because Joanna has to work. Wish us luck!

I will try to post pics soon but I doubt that I will be able to until I get back to Landau in a couple weeks.

1 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm jealous too! I've never been to Poland or Germany! It sounds like a grand adventure. Been doing a lot of walking? I ask because we have, and the balls of my feet hurt ;).

Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home