Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Auf Französisch?

More new classes today. Last Tuesday was a holiday so there were no classes held. “Ok, French at 10 and then a poli sci class at 12," I thought, "both at the Rote Kaserne, I don’t even have to switch buildings, I can handle this.” I have to admit, the prospect of taking a French history class (all in French by the way) scared me a little. “All the other students will probably understand much better than me (as they have started learning French around 7th grade or so) but that’s ok, I can just sit and listen since I don’t need credit for this class.” I have taken French for six years, impressive in the U.S. but in a class full of people who already speak English perfectly and are now learning their third or fourth language, six years of French isn’t such a big deal." I was pretty nervous walking to class and on several occasions, almost turned around, but I made it to the class and found a seat. So many people kept coming into the little lecture room and it became so crowded that finally someone asked, “Englisch oder Französisch?” Answer: „Englisch,“ another: „Nein, Französisch, oder?“ Much confusion and looking at class listings. Then someone said something in German about French not being in this room and a bunch of people got up and left. “Ok, just follow the crowd, maybe it’s on another day.” Everyone filed out into the hallway where I discovered there would still be class (darn it! just barely escaped!), just in a different room. The professor came and found us another room to have class. I found a seat and the professor began in French. “So, this isn’t so bad. I’m definitely understanding more than I would in an all-German class. Oh, we have to do a presentation? That’s ok, I don’t need credit for this class so I don’t have to do it. Ah, if we want credit we have to do a paper at the end. Alright, that’s the usual. Wait what? Everyone has to do the presentation regardless of whether we want the credit or now? What?? Ok, take a deep breath. Just wait it out, maybe I can talk to her after class.” Then she had us talk to the person sitting next to us and introduce him/her to the class. “Gulp, I have to speak. My French is so rusty.” However it did go over relatively well and yes, my suspicions were correct, all the other students spoke French very well. I started getting nervous. Some more lecture in French of which I think I understood about 70 percent or so, and then it came time to pick the topics for our presentations. “Yikes, I think this class might be too tough for me, I think I’ll just tell her the class is too difficult and not sign up.” I was about to bail when the girl sitting next to me said that I could be in her group. I could even just help them research the topic and not participate in the presentation. “What do I do now? I just want to leave, I’m too intimidated.” ...But instead I say, “um... ok... yeah, um... that would be alright... thanks.” “Gasp! What have I just committed myself to??? Oh, man.”

So that was my first experience taking a foreign language in a foreign language. There are several consolations to taking this class however, despite the stomach-churning, palm-sweating terror accompanied with sitting in a class hoping the professor won't directly address you or require a response to anything. One consolation is that I now have an opportunity to better my French speaking and comprehension abilities. I also have the opportunity to make friends with the three German girls in my group. And if those weren’t good enough reasons, there is a cute boy in my class, which is of course, always a good reason for perfect attendance :-)

I thought I had a poli sci class after French but it turns out it is actually on Thursday instead of Tuesday (Do not Di). Only one more thing on the agenda for today: I’m trying out a trampoline class tonight so wish me luck!


Here is a pic of Urs for those of you who are interested to see what he looks like. I managed to snap the pic, much to his chagrin, while we were playing pétanque in the park this weekend.

2 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"all the other students spoke very good French"

You might want to work on your english grammar....poke poke.

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Andi said...

Yes, go to Germany and forget English :-) Ok, I have to correct it though or it's going to bug me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home